Guest blogger guidelines
The Explore Australia blog is a space for connecting with travellers, adventurers and explorers who love to celebrate the wonderful things on offer in Australia.
What sort of posts are we looking for?
Explore Australia publishes informative, personal, interesting and inspiring stories about a broad range of Australian experiences.
This means your guest blog post could be on anything from fishing in the Top End to kayaking around Tasmania.
We welcome personal stories about your travel plans, setting up your rig, cooking on the road, favourite sights, life on the road and travelling with the kids/pets/family/on your own. We’re also keen to hear about your town – where you live, what’s great about it, why people should visit it.
To make sure your content can be considered, we suggest you email us with your ideas before you begin writing. Please also have a look at our blog to make sure that your ideas don’t overlap with something we’ve already covered.
We will also consider vlog (video blog) posts.
What are our terms, requirements and guidelines?
- Posts should be fresh content, not a copy of something you’ve had published somewhere else online.
- Posts must use your authentic voice and be based on your personal experiences or knowledge (not an experience you heard about from your brother, sister, friend or worse still, from someone on the internet).
- Posts should be 300–600 words long. Each post should contain a heading and at least one image that you have permission to use (providing details of the attribution if necessary).
- Please edit (or go over) your post before it is submitted. A good submission is easy to read and has good grammar and punctuation.
- We will still review and edit your blog post, so that it is consistent with our house styles (e.g. whether to spell out or abbreviated ‘kilometres’). We will come back to you if we have any queries during our in-house editorial stage, but we will not otherwise seek your approval on editorial changes.
- We invite you to include a three-line bio with your article, including a single link to your website, as well as details of your social media spaces for inclusion at the end of the post.
- We reserve the right to refuse to publish any submitted post if we deem it not relevant or if it does not meet our content standards.
Please note: We only accept guest posts from other independent bloggers. We do not accept posts from companies and businesses.
If your business is interested in working with us to gain exposure, please email us and we can connect you to our advertising partners.
How to submit a post in four easy steps
- Read the guidelines.
- Contact us with your article ideas and we’ll let you know if it is right for Explore Australia.
- Write, write, write!
- Send your post to us along with your images and your bio.
What’s in it for you?
- Exposure – a link back to your site and to your social media spaces. We’ll be talking about your blog post on Facebook, Twitter and via our e-newsletter.
- Our appreciation!
Promoting your published work
We will contact you once your content is live on the Explore Australia site. To make sure your work gets maximum exposure, we suggest you stumble it, tumblr it, tweet it and basically share it all over the place. This will increase the power of the link pointing back to your blog and will expose your blog to new audiences.
We also encourage you to mention your Explore Australia guest post on your blog.