Birdwatching - Port Macquarie to Lismore
There are a couple of top birdwatching spots in the New England area. One of the most spectacular is an all-weather bird hide among masses of waterbirds at Quipolly Dam, about 18 kilometres north-east of Quirindi. Mother of Ducks Lagoon at Guyra is a freshwater wetland inside a volcanic crater and a good spot to see Japanese snipe. Dangars Lagoon is also well regarded and has a large bird hide and some big snakes lurking in the long grass.
Back down on the coast, do not miss Muttonbird Island Nature Reserve near Coffs Harbour Marina. As well as being home to thousands of migratory wedge-tailed shearwaters, and a great vantage point for whale-watching, it has storm petrels, lesser frigatebirds and a range of other seabirds.
Nearby Eco Activities
- Burning Mountain Nature Reserve
- Barrington Tops National Park
- Armidale Bicentennial Arboretum
- Picnicking around Coffs Harbour
- Kayaking, Newcastle to Port Macquarie
- Sea Acres Nature Reserve
- Bush-tucker tasting - Macksville
- Houseboating on the Macleay River