Tibooburra is one of the hottest and most isolated towns in New South Wales. Its name means 'heaps of rocks' in the local Aboriginal language and refers to the 450-million-year-old granite tors that surround the town. In a similar tale to the creation of the Blue Mountains' Three Sisters, three brothers were turned to stone after marrying women from another tribe, creating three large rocks (only one remains today). Gold was discovered in 1881 but a poor yield, outbreaks of typhoid and dysentery and a lack of water meant the population explosion did not last.
National Parks and Wildlife Service, Briscoe St; (08) 8091 3308.
Nearby national parks
Pioneer Park: features a replica of the whaleboat Charles Sturt carried with him on his 1844–46 expedition to find an inland sea; Briscoe St.
Courthouse Museum: history of the region told with photographs, relics and documents in the restored 1887 courthouse; Briscoe St.
Tibooburra Aboriginal Land Council Keeping Place: photographs and Indigenous artefacts on display include a cockatoo-feather headdress; check opening times (08) 8091 3435; Briscoe St.
School of the Air: most remote school in NSW servicing students of Tibooburra and the Cameron Corner region. Tours during school terms; Briscoe St.
Family Hotel: pub walls have been painted on by artists including Russell Drysdale, Clifton Pugh and Rick Amor; Briscoe St.
Sturt National Park Occupying 310 000 hectares of Corner Country – the point where 3 states meet – is this semi-desert park, which begins on the edge of town. It is noted for its wildlife – wedge-tailed eagles, kangaroos and myriad reptiles. The landscape is diverse, ranging from ephemeral lakes to jump-ups, grassy plains and the rolling dunes of the Strzelecki Desert. Temperatures range from well over 40°C in summer to below 0°C at night in winter. Lake Pinaroo in the west is the site where Charles Sturt once built a fort to protect his party's supplies and sheep. There is an outdoor pastoralist museum and camping and homestead accommodation at Mt Wood, and short walking trails that lead from here and the park's 3 other campsites. Details from visitor centre.
Milparinka The Albert Hotel continues to do business in this small settlement, now almost a ghost town; (08) 8091 3863. Historic buildings include a restored courthouse, the remains of an old police station, a bank, a general store and a post office; 40 km S. Depot Glen Billabong, 14 km NW of Milparinka, is where Charles Sturt was marooned for 6 months in 1845 while searching for an inland sea. One of the worst droughts in Australia's history kept the party there due to diminishing water supplies. The grave of James Poole, Sturt's second-in-command, who died of scurvy, is 1 km further east under a grevillea tree. Poole's initials and the year of his death were carved into the tree and can still be seen. Poole's Cairn, commemorating the disastrous expedition, is located at Mt Poole, 7 km N of Depot Glen.
Cameron Corner:where Queensland, NSW and SA meet. The Dog Fence, the longest fence in the world, runs through here from Jimbour in Queensland to the Great Australian Bight; 133 km NW.
Campsites around town
Mount Wood camping area 23 kmMt Wood camping area is on gibber downs, in view of the historic Mt Wood homestead. You can get here by following the Gorge Loop Rd, just off the Tibooburra–Wanaaring Rd, but be aware that this road is unsuitable... Find out more
Find out more
Olive Downs camping area 44 kmSet among mulga trees, this campground has a short walking track and a good lookout over jump-up country. This is a lovely, secluded and serene place with abundant birdlife. Going west along this road, you see some... Find out more
Fort Grey camping area 86 kmOn the road to Cameron Corner from Tibooburra, on roads that are unsealed and only accessible in dry weather, this campground is near the ephemeral Lake Pinaroo, providing terrific birdwatching when the lake is filled... Find out more
What's on around town
Gymkhana and Rodeo: Oct.