Dog on the Tuckerbox
The dog on the tuckerbox was originally mentioned in Bowyang Yorke’s poem Bill the Bullocky, and has now become a monument to pioneer teamsters and their dogs. The dog on the tuckerbox was unveiled in 1932 by then prime minister Joseph Lyons. It was celebrated in the song ‘Where the dog sits on the tuckerbox’ by Jack O’Hagan (the songwriter responsible for ‘Along the road to Gundagai’). Nearby are statues of Dad and Dave (characters from the writings of Steele Rudd) and a kiosk.
8 km north of Gundagai.
- Dog on the Tuckerbox, Gundagai, Highlight