Argyle Cut

Work on the cutting connecting the eastern and western sides of The Rocks commenced in 1843, with chained convicts doing most of the hard labour. Initially much narrower than it is now, it was once the haunt of ‘pushes’ (larrikin youths who specialised in gang warfare and rolling the lone passer-by). In the heyday of the pushes, even the police went through the Argyle Cut in pairs.

comments powered by Disqus