Government House, Old Police Station and Courthouse

Across the road from Liberty Square is Government House, an elegant, gabled, colonial-style building built in 1879, which survived both cyclones and bombs. The building is open to the public once a year and is the venue for formal government occasions and ceremonies. Further along The Esplanade, on the corner of Smith Street, is the Old Police Station and Courthouse. They are now home to the offices for the Northern Territory administrator and staff. Directly opposite these buildings is Survivors Lookout. It surveys the Darwin Waterfront precinct and Darwin Harbour to East Arm Port and the terminus of the Ghan, a historic train that originally terminated in Alice Springs but now runs across the continent from Adelaide. The lookout also marks a spot where World War II battles were witnessed by journalists and photographers.

comments powered by Disqus