Parliament House, the Supreme Court and Liberty Square
Parliament House is a large white rectangular building with one of the finest views of Darwin Harbour. Opened in 1994, this modern, imposing edifice also houses the Northern Territory Library and a cafe that opens out to an area of lawn, a large fountain and a great view. Visitors are encouraged to look through the grand hall that displays art and photographic exhibitions. Guided tours (08) 8946 1434.
Across the wide courtyard at the front of Parliament House is the Supreme Court building, which was built in 1990. High ceilings and an atmosphere of modern grandeur are also a feature of this building – it has a spectacular foyer with a giant mosaic floor designed by Aboriginal artist Norah Napaljarri Nelson, and a permanent exhibit of Arnhem Land burial poles. At the southern side of Parliament House, next to the Supreme Court, is an open, grassed area called Liberty Square. Edged by spreading rain trees, this is the place where unionists met early last century to protest against the administration of Dr John Gilruth, who was eventually forced to flee the city as a result of a popular uprising against him.comments powered by Disqus