Sixth Gorge camping area (boat-based camping)
There are no walking tracks at Sixth Gorge but overnight access is available to canoeists. There are toilets but no other facilities.
Who to contact: Nitmiluk Visitor Centre (08) 8972 1253, 1300 146 743 Permits: Overnight walkers are required to register and pay a deposit at the visitor centre; note: numbers permitted are limited
This campsite is located in Nitmiluk National Park
This extraordinarily beautiful 300 000 ha park has stunning waterfalls, spectacular gorges and plunging escarpments, and is rich with plants and animals. It’s heavenly for hikers, canoeists and swimmers, with safe and delightful swimming holes at Southern Rockhole, Northern Rockhole, 17 Mile Falls, Biddlecombe Cascades, Crystal Falls and Leliyn (not all waterways are safe for swimming as crocodiles inhabit the area, observe warning signs). There are boat-launching facilities, but only boats without motors are allowed. There is an excellent network of short bushwalks, or you could tackle the 66 km Jatbula Trail; you need to book all the campsites along the Jatbula. The park’s main entrance is 30 km north-east of Katherine on the sealed Gorge Road; Leliyn (Edith Falls) is 40 km north-west of Katherine.
Want to see your campsite photos featured here? Send us your photos.
- Nitmiluk Centre Campground
- Dunlop Swamp camping area (bush camping)
- Eighth Gorge camping area (bush camping)
- Biddlecombe Cascades camping area (walk-in camping)
- Sweetwater Pool camping area (walk-in camping)
- Smitt Rocks camping area (walk-in camping)
- Crystal Falls camping area (walk-in camping)
- Sandy Camp Pool camping area (walk-in camping)
- Leliyn (Edith Falls) camping area
- Edith River Crossing camping area (walk-in camping)
- Seventeen Mile Falls camping area (walk-in camping)
comments powered by Disqus