Kelly's Steps

At the end of Kelly Street, historic Kelly’s Steps connect Salamanca Place to Battery Point. They were built in 1839 by Captain James Kelly, an adventurer who made a comfortable living from sealing and whaling. Kelly’s good fortune was short-lived, however, and by 1842 he was bankrupt and destitute following the death of his wife and seven of his children. After a run-in with the law over another man’s wife, he died at age 67.

comments powered by Disqus