A few streets away, at the top end of Trumpeter Street is the Shipwright’s Arms Hotel which has traded under this name since 1846. The front bar has a distinctive nautical atmosphere with every inch of wall space covered with photographs of vessels that have sailed on the River Derwent. A few doors down the hill, across Napoleon Street, are Mr Watson’s Cottages, a row of simple Georgian brick dwellings built in 1850. Behind are the boat building slip yards that date back to the 1830s.
A counter meal in a warm colonial-era pubcomments powered by Disqus