Castray Esplanade and Princes Wharf
Built in 1870 to provide a promenade for the people of Hobart, Castray Esplanade runs behind Princes Wharf. At the city end of the esplanade are restaurants specialising in Tasmanian seafood. The Taste of Tasmania festival takes place in Princes Wharf No. 1 Shed at the beginning of January.
For most of the year, Princes Wharf is a working dock, berthing Antarctic research and supply vessels. The CSIRO Marine Research Laboratories are situated at the Battery Point end. On the hill are the original Signal Station and Mulgrave Battery, which was built in 1818 during panic about a rumoured Russian invasion. They are now part of Princes Park. The octagonal Tide House, next to the Ordnance Stores , is the point from which all distances are measured in Tasmania.comments powered by Disqus