Ben Hyrons Cottage
In 1818 the convict Ben Hyrons arrived in Van Diemen’s Land after being sentenced to transportation for passing counterfeit coins. His fortunes changed with a pardon in 1832 and he moved to George Town, rising to prominence as a local tavern owner. His two-storey cottage built in 1860 remains the oldest weatherboard building in George Town, itself Tasmania’s oldest town. Today it’s a lovely B&B with a white picket fence and wild garden dominated by a 100-year-old mulberry tree. Inside it’s a homely and authentic restoration of the period, with polished wood floors, timber panelling, antiques and a beautiful convict-brick fireplace warming the lounge room.
40 Anne St; (03) 6382 1399