With no expense spared, this fine two-storey mansion was built as the mine manager’s residence in 1898, with spacious rooms, exquisite carved woodwork and a magnificent blackwood staircase, so it’s no surprise it is listed by the National Trust. Furnished with antiques complemented with displays of mine memorabilia, it is now a fine B&B with understated elegance. There are three queen rooms with ensuites and a two-bedroom guest wing that sleeps four, and most rooms have glorious views. Guests can share in a little turn-of-the-century opulence with a complimentary glass of port in front of the open fire, a game of billiards in the ballroom, silver service breakfast and, if arranged in advance, a superb evening meal in the stately dining room.
32 The Esplanade; (03) 6471 2560