This former pub was the tallest building outside of Melbourne when it was built in 1859. Today it has been transformed into a smart eatery and produce store championing local produce from olives to sheep’s milk yoghurt, as well as the region’s famous wines. Share a few tapas-style plates such as salt-and-pepper squid, pan-seared scallops, chargrilled kangaroo, lemon chicken skewers or perhaps chickpea and corn fritters served with couscous and tabouli salad. They specialise in aged Angus beef and are justly proud of their tender chargrilled steaks. All breads and pastas are made in-house, plus they make a good cup of coffee.
157–159 Barkly St; (03) 5352 7344; open Tues–Sun for breakfast, lunch and dinnercomments powered by Disqus