Old Treasury Building

Not long after the first gold nugget was found, Victoria required a place to store all the gold being exchanged for cash by the miners. The Old Treasury Building was built in 1857, with vaults for the gold and administrative offices for many of the colony’s important figures. Today the vaults are home to a permanent exhibition on the gold-rush era. Displays cover everything from bushrangers to the ships that took gold out of the country and brought thousands of migrants back. The building hosts other temporary exhibitions as well. Spring St, facing Collins St; (03) 9651 2233; open 10am–4pm Sun–Fri.

comments powered by Disqus