This town was once known as the 'Queen of the Murchison'. In 1891 Mick Fitzgerald and Ned Heffernan found large nuggets of gold not far from what was to become the main street. It was their prospecting mate, Tom Cue, who registered the claim on their behalf and when the town was officially proclaimed in 1894, it bore his name. Within ten years the population of this boom town had exploded to about 10 000 people. While Cue's population has dwindled, the legacy of those heady gold-rush days is evident in the town's remarkably grandiose buildings.
Golden Art Shop and Tourist Information Centre, Austin St; (08) 9963 1936
Heritage buildings Many early buildings still stand and are classified by the National Trust. A stroll up the main street takes in the elegant band rotunda, the former Gentleman's Club (now the shire offices, housing a photographic display of the region's history), the Old Gaol, the courthouse, the post office and the police station. One block west in Dowley St is the former Masonic Lodge built in 1899 and reputed to be the largest corrugated-iron structure in the Southern Hemisphere.
Walga Rock This monolith is 1.5 km long and 5 km around the base. It has several Aboriginal rock paintings. One of the most extraordinary paintings, considering that Cue is over 300 km from the sea, is of a white, square-rigged sailing ship. It is believed to depict one of the Dutch ships that visited WA's mid-west shores in the 17th century. 50 km W.
Day Dawn:once Cue's twin town, thanks to the fabulous wealth of the Great Fingall Mine. The mine office, a magnificent century-old stone building now perched precariously on the edge of a new open-cut mine, is all that remains of the town; 5 km W.
Milly Soak: popular picnic spot for early Cue residents. A tent hospital was set up nearby during the typhoid epidemic; 3 lone graves are the only reminder of the thousands who died; 16km N.
Heritage trail: includes the abandoned towns Big Bell and Day Dawn; contact visitor centre for brochure.
Fossicking: areas surrounding the town; contact visitor centre for details.
Caravan parks around town
Find out more
Hotels, motels & B&Bs around town
Rest areas around town
Cue park area 8 km
Adjacent to the highway and opposite the police station.
T/O 12km N of Cue (R) or 104km S of Meekatharra (L)
Around the homestead 3km (unsealed) east of the highway. Camp kitchen and some powered sites available.
Lake Nallan rest area 20 km
20km N of Cue (R) or 96km S of Meekatharra (L)
Just off the highway and overlooking the lake.
The Granites park area 65 km
T/O 6km N of Mt Magnet (R) or 74km S of Cue (L)
Well off the highway among unusual rock formations.
Mount Magnet park area 71 km
At Mt Magnet
Adjacent to the highway and opposite the caravan park.