Alluvial gold was discovered in the 1890s in Yalgoo, which lies 216 kilometres east of Geraldton. Today, gold is still found in the district and visitors are encouraged to try their luck fossicking in the area. The name Yalgoo is from the Aboriginal word meaning 'blood', a rather odd fact given that in 1993 a Yalgoo resident was the first person in Australia to be the victim of a parcel bomb.
Old Railway Station, Geraldton–Mt Magnet Rd; (08) 9962 8157
Nearby national parks
Courthouse Museum: exhibits of local artefacts; Gibbons St.
Gaol: built in 1896 and recently relocated to the museum precinct, it has photographs illustrating the town's history; Gibbons St.
Chapel of St Hyacinth: designed by Monsignor Hawes and built in 1919 for the Dominican Sisters who lived in a wooden convent school near the chapel; Henty St.
Heritage walk: self-guided town walk; pamphlet available at visitor centre.
Cemetery: the history of Yalgoo as told through headstones; 5 km W.
Joker's Tunnel: a tunnel carved through solid rock by early prospectors and named after the Joker's mining syndicate, it has panoramic views near the entrance; 10 km SE.
Meteorite crater: discovered in 1961, a portion of the meteorite is held at the WA Museum in Perth; 100 km N.
Gascoyne Murchison Outback
Pathways: 3 drives exploring outback history: the Wool Wagon Pathway, the Kingsford Smith Mail Run and the Miners Pathway; see visitor centre or website for maps.