St Georges Terrace

The city’s main commercial street is lined with modern office towers that overshadow a number of historic buildings. At the western end of the terrace is the Barracks Archway, the only remains of the Pensioners’ Barracks, a structure that originally had two wings and 120 rooms. This building housed the retired British soldiers who guarded convicts in the mid-1800s. The Central Government Building on the corner of Barrack Street marks the spot where Perth was founded with a tree-felling ceremony in 1829. Around 50 years later, convicts and hired labour commenced work on the building that stands there today. At one stage it housed the GPO, and a plaque on the building’s east corner marks the point from which all distances in the state are measured. Other historic buildings along the terrace include the Cloisters, the Old Perth Boys’ School, the Deanery, St George’s Cathedral, Government House and the Old Court House . As you’re walking along the Terrace, look out for the commemorative plaques inlaid in the footpath which celebrate the achievements of over 170 notable West Australians. This was a sesquicentennial project in 1979 celebrating 150 years since the foundation of the Swan River Colony.

comments powered by Disqus